Opel Owners Forum of South Africa

Your Opel, Vauxhall and Chev forum
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:57 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:28 pm 

Hi, I've been trying to fix this issue with my Corsa Lite 1.4i 2007 model for a couple of months now, and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

The car has trouble idling, and is more and more regularly cutting out when slowing down to approach a turn or stop street. When it doesn't cut out, it revs inconsistently and eventually comes to a rest. The engine also sounds like it's missing. The issue is intermittent. Sometimes when driving it doesn't have any of these problems.

The mechanics I took it to replaced the Idle Control Valve, but that didn't make any difference as on the same day it was behaving erratically.

Most recently it cut out on me and would not start again. After about 20 minutes I was able to start it and keep the revs high - it was threatening to cut out again - but it's obviously not driveable as it is.

Possible culprits I've discovered browsing the internet relating to this problem:

- Idle Control Valve
- Ignition Coil Pack
- Fuel Pump Relay

Since I've already replaced the Idle Control Valve (which, who knows, could also be a faulty replacement), I'm hoping it's one of the other 2 parts causing the problem. Please tell me I don't have to replace the computer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:35 pm 
Forum Addict

Hi, have you looked at the crank pulley and key way? This sounds like a similar problem i had with my then 1.4i.

Sometimes when the cam belt is changed the washer holding the pulley in the crank gets reversed (installed incorrectly). Resulting in the key way or pulley getting worn and thus the timing shifts, causing the symptoms you describe.

Hope it helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:17 pm 

I had the same problem but my was my air intake pipe. It's was cut or somehow had a hole. After the air sensor (I think) but ja, soon I fixed tht it work. Another problem I had with the cutting out but driving in high revs won't work, was becoz my fuel pump filter (in the tank) was dirty and clogged. So the pump was overheating and cutting out. So I had to wait 20 min or so for it to cool off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:01 pm 

Hey dude,

I have a 2004 corsa b which did the exact same thing. And sometimes when it is about to cut off, the ecu requests the motor to rev to avoid stalling, so the revs bob up and down? Sometimes it would just stall and it would also need 5 ~ 10 mins before re-starting it.

In my case it was the coil pack. changed and the car went well for all of like 3 months but that was the problem with that. Remember, if this is the case, it is recommended to also change plug leads as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:04 pm 

Thanks for the help everyone.

I took these suggestions to another mechanic, who thought it was the fuel pump relay. He took it out and resoldered a part of it, put it back, and now it seems to be okay. But it's an intermittent issue, so we'll see!